Tuesday, July 23, 2013

It's Not Brain Surgery, It's Ballet!

I love TV shows and movies about ballet. I won't even call them a guilty pleasure, because I am proud to admit my obsession with them. You should see my Netflix rental history. Anywho, when the season 2 premiere of Breaking Pointe came on yesterday, you can imagine my excitement. If you haven't watched the show, I insist you find season 1 and start watching immediately, but don't blame me if you get addicted.

I thought I'd give you a little run-down of lessons learned from the episode, which was titled "It's Not Brain Surgery, It's Ballet!" (Which, for the record, I think is a terrible comparison, but whatevs, I didn't say name it.)

  1. I need to get back to the gym. And do it regularly. I love that they showed the dancers cross training, and talked about the importance of it. It is something I don't do nearly enough of, which is probably why I'm always getting injured. Speaking of which...
  2. Everyone gets injured, even the pros. But everyone tries again. Even if it means more injury. This makes me feel better about all the times I've been injured yet, like the masochist I am, come back for more.
  3. Ballet fashion rules. Such colorful leotards in this episode!
  4. Cost of living appears to be much lower in Salt Lake City than where I live. Their apartments are much bigger and nicer than mine. I'd be jealous but for the fact they live in SLC, and I live in Awesome Big City That I Love. This is even more ironic when you consider I was born just outside SLC.
  5. There's nothing wrong with kissing up to the teacher if what you're really doing is trying to become better.
  6. There ARE straight men in ballet. 
  7. Real ballet dancers do shots. And get a little drunk sometimes and say stupid things. In short, they are normal people. This, also, makes me feel better about myself.
  8. Adam Sklute likens Ballet West to high school, in terms of corps/soloists/principals, etc. I'd say this analogy extends to adult recreational ballet too - there are definite hierarchies, even within open classes - but with much less drama....most of the time.
  9. I want to wear a rehearsal tutu. All. The. Time. 
Do you watch Breaking Pointe or other dance-themed shows? What's your favorite? Comment away!

3 comments:

  1. I have to admit that I don't have cable or anything so I don't actually get to watch TV shows all that much (except the ones my husband downloads for me. SSSHHHH!!!!) unless they are on Netflix streaming. BUT I wanted to add re: point #4: a friend of mine recently moved to SLC. They had been living in a tiny apartment with government subsidies in California, but in SLC they were able to BUY a HOUSE on the same income. I'm completely jealous except UTAH.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "6. There ARE straight men in ballet."

    *waves hand madly*

    Yes! We do exist, even if most of the world jumps to (erroneous) conclusions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA! I know what you mean - the world needs more of you men...it would definitely open up my own dating pool!

      One of the Ballet Buddies always laments how people automatically assume he's gay because he does ballet. It is sad there is so much stereotyping for men in dance!

      Delete