Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Ballet and Self-Diagnosis

After a certain point in ballet studies, you get to know your body REALLY well. Like med student well (OK, maybe not med student, but seriously advanced anatomy student for sure). Not because you're particularly smart, but because you are so attuned to every creak, pop and pain that you immediately freak out and go on an all-night bender Googling everything under the sun.

Or maybe that's just me.

As you all know, I had knee surgery in November to clean out my cartilage and plica. Not fun. Recovery has been slow but steady, but over the past two months or so I noticed both knees doing a lot of aching.

Let the Googling commence!

Found a gold mine for dancers - The Rudolf Nureyev Foundation Medical Website (http://www.nureyev-medical.org/). This site is about dance health issues - BINGO! One night around 2am I finally came across a solution to my knee pain I hadn't really thought about, that it wasn't actually my knees causing pain, but tightness in the connecting muscles and tendons. After a week of foam rolling my quads, hammies & hip flexors 1-2 times per day....no knee pain. I have now made it through two classes with no pain AND no knee brace. [does happy dance, pain free]

On the other hand, a new nagging injury has popped up. After some trusty Googling, I'm self-diagnosing myself as a potential case of flexor hallucis longus tendonitis, commonly referred to as FHL tendonitis. Now, I'm not 100% sure on my diagnosis so I have an appointment set for next week with my trusty ortho group, whom by now know me by name, but I'd say odds are 60/40 I'm right.

Sigh. To be continued....

1 comment: