Tuesday, June 4, 2013

3rd Time's a Charm???

Got re-fitted for pointe shoes a THIRD TIME this weekend. I really don't mind doing the re-fittings; what I mind is having to shell out for three pairs of shoes in six months. Here's what we know now about my feet and the accompanying shoes....
  1. My feet are highly compressible, with tapered toes and a narrow heel.
  2. Shoe #1, Repetto Gambas, are very supportive, but the shanks are so thick you feel like you're walking on 2x4s.  It was almost impossible to articulate the foot, and the shoes feel very clunky overall.
  3. Shoe #2, Chacott Veronese, are very easy to articulate the foot in and very "springy," but difficult to roll up in, and aren't very supportive due to the low box - no wings whatsoever. They have a much softer shank than the Gambas, and really forced me to develop strength in my foot in order to lift out of the box. But, the lack of wings has introduced me to the world of bunions. Joy.
  4. Shoe #3, Grishko Pro-Flex, have a 3/4 shank which looks fabulous with my arch, and the wings come up higher on the box so I feel more supported. Unfortunately, from what I've read online, they also break in really quickly and hence don't last as long. But they look damn good.
From L-R: Repetto Gamba, Chacott Veronese, Grishko ProFlex.
Note the different platform/box shapes, and how the vamp gets higher with each purchase!


Question for the readers - 

How long did it take you to find your pointe shoe, and how long did you stick with any particular model? I'm curious to see if others have had similar trial and error periods when they first started pointe.

EDIT 6.5.13
So, La Danseuse didn't love the Grishkos. I'm going to see what Fun Thursday Teacher (I really need a name for her!) thinks tomorrow, but my guess is that I'll be back for another fitting this weekend....Le Sigh.....

EDIT 6.25.13
Fun Thursday Teacher actually liked the shoes, but I went ahead back for yet another refitting. After an hour and a half, I ended up right back where I started. In the same Grishkos.

I sewed them and have danced one class in them - they actually felt really supportive, but I actually think the 3/4 shank is stretching the front of my ankle more than I'm used to. The front of my ankle was really sore after class.

6 comments:

  1. I'm still looking for my perfect shoe, I need to get fitted on my 3rd pair as the first two so far have been unsuccessful. I have highly compressible, very flat feet that slide into the box and then stay there. So far, the trial and error period has been a little frustrating and like you say, shelling out that kinda money too often in a short space of time hurts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear I'm not alone in this! Sounds like compressible feet are the absolute worst when it comes to fitting.

    For me, I feel like I've addressed the compressibility issue more with the modifications I do to padding than with the shoe itself. What are you using for padding?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank god I'm still on flats I don't have to think about that stuff yet! :)

    Visit My Blog One Less Lonely Dancer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like we have the same fit issues. Compressible, narrow, tapered feet. I've gone through the Veronese, I've tried Gamba and Grishko but never loved how stiff they were. I've had bloch suprimas, bloch axis, and gaynors. I'm still not happy with any of them as my feet continue to get stronger and change. I thought I had figured out my axis because they don't come any more narrower than an X, with a gaynor minden fit kit. Except the shoe is still twisting on me. The Gaynors are also very stiff and I can't get over the box in them, they at least fit decently, I just don't like to use them.
    I've been eyeing suffolk, sansha, capezio and leo. None of the styles I'm interested in for narrow, low profiled, and tapered feet are available in stores near me and I would have to order blindly and I've already purchased my Gaynors and my Axis right now. I'm going to go through them until next year or Nutcracker when I can convince myself it's okay to buy a new pair of shoes... though I'm cautious because I need a working pair for Nutcracker D: I used my chacotts last year for Nutcracker.

    Sorry to hear about your recent foot injury! Get better and fast!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It is always good to hear of others with the same issues!

      Delete
  5. Hi there! I am also a 30-something with highly compressible tapered narrow (and archy) feet. I found the Russian Pointe Entradas to be a great fit for me (lots of off-the-shelf combinations available for width/vamp/shank), and also I have worn the Freed Studio Pro (with the v-cut vamp) and thought they were pretty acceptable. If your toes aren't too long you might like the Bloch Axiom, those were the right shape for me but not deep enough. I have struggled with finding the right shoes - I have tried probably 6 or 7 different pairs, and have finally settled on these Russian Pointes for now. For padding, the 'pillows for pointe' Super Gellows are the BEST! Best of luck and I hope you recover soon and get back to dancing! :)

    ReplyDelete