Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Liebing it Up

As previously mentioned, I was recently nominated for Liebster award, which is essentially a blogger chain letter. According to the unofficial "rules" for the award, you must:
  1. Thank the person who nominated you and include a link back to their blog. (Check!)
  2. List 11 random facts about yourself.
  3. Answer the 11 questions given to you.
  4. Create 11 questions for the bloggers you nominate.
  5. Choose 11 bloggers with 200 or less followers to nominate and include links to their blogs.
  6. Go to each bloggers page and let them know you have nominated them.
Since I had two nominations, that's 11 random facts and 22 questions to answer....so if you never really wanted to know a lot about me, stop reading now. This will be a VERY long entry, even for an admitted lover of lists.

But come back later! We'll miss you!

11 Random Facts About Myself
  1. I was a military brat, and moved around A LOT as a kid. 13 schools by the time I went to college!
  2. I'm terrified of growing older alone.
  3. I hate green bell peppers, but love the red, yellow and orange ones.
  4. My favorite food is cheese.
  5. I did beauty pageants to pay for my last two years in college, and was my state's 1st runner up the last year I competed. 
  6. My talent in #5 was classical piano.
  7. I love cold weather (and winter) and hate hot weather (and summer).
  8. If I could meet anyone in the world, dead or alive, it would be Frank Sinatra.
  9. I love public speaking and acting.
  10. I'm allergic to shellfish shells, but not the meat.
  11. I'm a trivia junkie.
Questions from Traveling Dancer
  1. What is your best recommendation for new bloggers? Keep at it, and try scheduling your posts using a publishing tool. We all go through creative phases where we churn out content, and times when we come up dry. Persistence wins at the end of the day, and you'll be thankful you took the time to jot down a few lines!
  2. If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be? Paris, France. It is, hands-down, my favorite city in the world. Been fortunate enough to visit 3 times, and I can't wait to go again!
  3. What types of posts and blogs do you tend to comment on the most? I'm not a big comment-er, but I love reading. When I comment, it is because a specific question is asked soliciting responses, or the blogger writes something that really resonates with me, personally.
  4. Favorite YouTube dance clip? Don't really have one.
  5. Would you give up your day job to dance? If I had the natural talent, yes. But since I don't, let's just say I'd love to have a day job that affords me the ability to dance more than I currently do.
  6. What is your favorite dance studio? I've taken classes in 4 different cities, and I must say, I love my current studio the most. But if I told you the name, the secret would be out, and Awesome Ballet School would no longer be "anonymous!"
  7. Do you like being corrected in class/what type of corrections work best for you? Absolutely. When a teacher corrects me, I know it is because they believe that I have the ability to improve, and there's no higher compliment than when a teacher takes some time out of class to help you. 
  8. Favorite book? Favorite quote? I read a LOT of books, but don't really have a favorite. I've probably read the Harry Potter series at least 5 times though, so perhaps that counts? As for a favorite quote, I don't have one of those either, but lately I've been loving a line in that new Pink song, that goes "we're not broken, just bent." I think it's a lovely way to describe a very specific emotion.
  9. Best snack between class? I'm addicted to the GNC Go Lean 25 smoothies. I take the powder with me to class along with a shaker bottle. Try the rich chocolate flavor!
  10. What's your favorite leotard? (brand, style, color) I'm currently in love with my newest purchase, the Bal Togs Mock-Wrap leotard, in "gasoline." It's a beautiful purpley-grey color.
  11. Best advice you wish you would have known when you were younger? Stop being so hard on yourself - it's not good for you!
Questions from Natalina
  1. If you could be someone else for one day, what kind of person would you like to be? For just one day, I'd like to be someone famous, just to see what it is like.
  2. What do you do when you have a bad day? When I'm being good to myself, I take a ballet class. When I'm being not so good to myself....red wine.
  3. If you didn't have to keep in count anything and anyone, what would you do? Where would you go? What kind of life would you live? I would move to Paris and take dance classes all day in order to work off all the croissants, cheese and red wine I'd consume. I'd travel Europe and just work as needed to live, not live to work.
  4. What do you want to achieve in your life? I want to make a difference - be someone and do something that inspires others, even if it is just a handful of souls.
  5. What's your dream? This changes pretty often for me, but right now, my dream is to meet the love of my life (who naturally keeps a house in Paris) and live out my years surrounded by love, happiness, and many adventures.
  6. What made you start blogging and what do you want for your blog? I've always been an avid blog reader, but never a big blogger. When I started back up with ballet a few years ago, I scoured the Internet looking for info on adult ballet classes - that's how I came across many of the blogs I current follow, and they inspired me to tell my own story, in hopes it helps answer questions for others in similar circumstances.
  7. How did you come up with your blog's name? This is a great question - I have to admit I really love a good pun, so I was trying to come up with something that involved words associated with ballet. Hence, barre barre black sheep was born - being somewhat of an outsider to the ballet world, when I first started I definitely felt like a black sheep among all the dancers. Now, I feel much more at home with my flock!
  8. Do you see yourself blogging 5 years from now? Probably - I have a huge interest in social media in my day job, and since picking up blogging in my personal life, I'll definitely continue either personally or professionally.
  9. What are some of your talents? I play 7 musical instruments, and am a pretty darn good cook.
  10. What has been your proudest moment in your life so far? This is a really tough question - I tend to be very self-deprecating, so admitting I'm proud of something is a pretty difficult task. That being said, I was incredibly proud of the first time I went up en pointe. After years of feeling out of shape and "too big for ballet," getting up there really made me re-evaluate all the negative language I use with myself. I had a pretty poor self-image, and didn't realize it. I was proud to prove that you don't need a traditional ballet/sylph body to do pointe, and I was even prouder that I was strong enough to do it myself.
  11. What makes you, you? My wit. Sometimes I'm witty, other times I simply have my wits about me. But ask anyone, and they'll probably tell you I'm one smart cookie. I think my brain is truly what defines me as a person, and I'm proud of being a bit (OK, a LOT) of a nerd.
  12. And last but not least a life question: Why did the chicken cross the road? Because that's where her ballet class was!
11 Questions for my Nominees

  1. What do you hope to get out of blogging?
  2. What is your dream job?
  3. Do you bulk-blog and schedule the posts, or do you post as you write?
  4. What three words would your best friend use to describe you on your best day?
  5. What is the one thing you want to improve on before the end of 2013?
  6. What's your biggest regret in life?
  7. What do you think is the best way to increase readership of your blog?
  8. What caused you to start blogging?
  9. I'm obviously a fan of your blog; have you ever read mine? Just curious.
  10. What's the best advice you've ever received?
  11. Where do you hope your blog will be one year from now?
Blogs I'm Nominating...I know I'm supposed to do 11, so I went to all my favorite blogs, but only 2 of them show readers the number of followers, and both were over 200 (mad props to you!!!). So, rather than nominate blogs, I'm just going to mention some blogs that I'd like to see get some recognition, because they are funny, poignant, informative, well-written, or/and all of the above. If you want to continue the Q&A, I encourage you to because I admire your blogs and would love to hear your answers. Yes, I realize this may be the end of the chain letter. But as Frank would say, "That's Life!"

Ballet-Related

Non-Ballet Blogs

No comments:

Post a Comment