Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Dancing in New York

A few weeks ago I was fortunate enough to go to New York City for an impromptu birthday trip. Very impromptu. We're talking less-than-14-days-advance-notice-how-the-heck-did-I-get-so-lucky-with-plane-tickets impromptu.

One thing on my must-do list was a class at Steps on Broadway. Steps is exactly what you imagine when you think of classes in New York. Studios overlooking a tree-lined boulevard. Piano music drifting down to the street. Dancers stretching in every conceivable inch of space. Scarred old barres that have seen countless dancers honing their craft. Having heard about Steps for years, I almost feel like it is a sort of dancer rite of passage, trudging up those venerable steps to the second and third floor studios on Broadway.

In any case, if you ever get the chance to do the same, I hope this info is helpful:

  • Classes fill up, even during the work day, so register online ahead of time if you can
  • The studios are a little dirty and the equipment old, but you can tell they are well-loved
  • The live accompanist was amazing!
  • Drop-ins are a little pricey - $18 vs the $15 I find standard in most larger cities
  • Changing room is TINY so come to class already dressed if possible
  • Strict studio etiquette is observed. There wasn't a towel or water bottle in sight during barre!
  • You'll be thrown in with all different ages, regardless of whether it is an adult class or not, so you might be next to a 12 year old who can battement you out the front door
Steps was a great experience, but at the end of the day, I can honestly say I prefer my studio at Awesome Ballet School. And that alone is worth an $18 drop-in fee.

No comments:

Post a Comment