Monday, October 8, 2012

The Pink Tights

Not only was this Sunday's class full of drama (see previous post), it also forced me to face one of my greatest fears....The Pink Tights.

Many of the bloggers I follow have blogged about the horrors of The Pink Tights. Unless you are a stick insect, Pink Tights make your thighs look very, very scary. You cannot hide from The Pink Tights. They will find you, put a spotlight on your popo, and make you squirm with insecurity. This post from Pointe Til You Drop is one of my favorites on the subject. Now, I will wear The Pink Tights if I have booty shorts or a ballet skirt to go over them (and my thighs), but a leotard with seulement Pink Tights? Quelle horreur!

Well, on Sunday, I switched out my usual ballet bag, and when I got to class, realized I had left my shorts in the other bag. I didn't have a scrap of fabric to cover myself, just my leotard and The Pink Tights.

This is embarrassing, but I legitimately freaked out for a minute, and contemplated leaving class. Luckily rational thought set in and I realized no one is going to be looking at my thighs except me. Even my friends in class are more preoccupied with their own dancing - they aren't going to judge me for the way I look. And if they do, well, I don't need to be friends with them.

So, I stood up tall, grabbed a barre, and did the whole class - in just The Pink Tights. I feel like I have passed some balletic milestone, a sort of right of passage. Granted, I hope I never, ever have to do that again, but you know what? I did it. I faced my fear, and just danced. And isn't that really the point, and the lesson we all need to learn? It's not about you, and it's definitely not about your insecurities. It's about the art, and we are lucky to be a part of it.

5 comments:

  1. way to go!

    the closest that ever happened to me in class was this girl who hadn't brought her little boy shorts and felt too naked. So I decided to be the hero and gave her mine leaving the entirety of my poor little legs in nothing but gray tights (okay, not pink, but still revealing!). and oh, halfway through the class I noticed they were ripped. but hey, I'm alive aren't I???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Funny how scary something like tights can be!

      Delete
  2. You go girl! It's dreading I know! I remember my first year in danceacademy, balletclass was: pink tights & black leotard...nothing more...GULP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine wearing that every class! YOU go girl!

      Delete
    2. Hahahaha! Well in the second year I sure did wear my black boxershorts on top! And leg warmers and turtlenecks, 1st class of the day at 8:30 sure was cold! Damn, now I miss those days!

      Delete