Thursday, September 6, 2012

Oh, heyyyyyyy! There you are!

She's alive!!!! Before I tell you what I've been up to, let me get the apologies and mea culpas out of the way.

  • Yes, it has been an extraordinarily long time since I last posted.
  • No, I did not catch some strange foreign disease rendering me unable to type.
  • Yes, I thought about quitting the blog. This, and my long absence, makes me a pretty terrible blogger.
  • No, I did not quit ballet.
  • Yes, I am very, very sorry.
So, that said, let's get down to brass tacks. What has this Black Sheep been up to since mid-May? Here's the Cliffs Notes version: Physical Therapy, Back to Ballet....Lots of Ballet, Attempted a Double, Petition School to add Classes (more on that later). And of course the regular "life" stuff, but it's pretty much "all work and no play makes Sheep a dull girl."

My injury finally healed, thanks to the tireless efforts of my physical therapist to coax some semblance of strength out of my right ankle. Seriously, she deserves a medal for dealing with my eye-rolling, sighing, complaining, and general malaise. But, she did teach me a lot about my body and "finding neutral." It is amazing how intricately our bodies are linked. Tipped pelvis = overworked hip flexors = weak psoas = compensation in the knee and ankle = sinus tarsi syndrome and sickling. Crazy, no? I find myself being more aware of my body's placement in everyday activities, and it has really paid off!

When I first got back to class, it was extremely difficult. My right side would tire out near dégagés, and felt as though I'd never get back to where I was pre-injury. But four months later, and I'm back to three classes per week, and feeling strong.

So here's where it gets fun. There's a group of us who have been taking classes together consistently for about two years. We have really bonded as a group; brunches, post-class drinks, ballet tix...it's awesome. We all share the frustration of not really progressing beyond our class, as there is a huge gap in technique between our level and the next level up. So, we got together, and like good ballet soldiers (Ballet Corps, anyone?), we drafted up a petition to the Academy to not only add an intermediate level class, but to start a BEGINNING POINTE CLASS! I cannot tell you how excited I am about this.

We handed in our petition and signatures this past Tuesday, so hopefully we will hear something soon. Keep your fingers (and fifths) crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment