Tuesday, February 21, 2012

What would you do-oo-oo for a Klondike bar?

No, this isn't a post on frozen deliciousness, but hey - keep reading anyway!

Today a friend of mine emailed me, asking whether I was meeting up with The Gang at a local watering hole for wings, brewskis and good times. Without even giving it a second thought, I typed out my reply, "No, I'm feeding my ballet addiction tonight. But maybe next time!" A few moments later, my friend responded with, "Yeah, I should have figured, it being Tuesday and all."

Cher reader, there was a time when you would never see me turn down an invite to hang out with my friends and toss a few cold ones back. I love beer. I love friends. Hell, I even love wings. "I should have figured," coupled with my reference to "my ballet addiction" kicked off a little thought bubble inside my head.

Am I really addicted to ballet? And, assuming the answer is yes (because come on, we all know it is), like any good hard-core junkie, what have I given up in my all-consuming passion for my drug? And most importantly, is all the sacrifice worth it?

On the surface, I guess I never thought of the things I've given up for ballet because I feel like ballet has given me so much. But when you get down to it, I really have sacrificed some things for my passion. Things like Friday and Saturday nights out (Have you ever tried spotting while hungover? It doesn't stop the spinning, trust me...), Klondike bars, or in my case, all carbs. Because, cher reader, while the average person you meet on the street would probably not call me obese, I know that if I want to get up on pointe in the next year, I need to shed some Ell Bees (that's lbs, yo). And for me, what works best is a controlled carb diet. So yes, I have put an end to my love affair with carbs, all for the sake of what may be a pipe dream of mine in ballet.

I've also given up pedicures (it just gets all scratched off),  most of my high heels (got to stretch those Achilles!), and quite possibly my sanity. After all, what 30-something in their right mind would give up all those things for something they will (1) never do professionally, (2) is seen by most people as a hobby, and (3) is a little wack-o?

Why do we do it? Because of what ballet gives us. Peace of mind. Better understanding of our bodies. A creative outlet. A sense of beauty. An appreciation for a historic art form. Another way of loving ourselves.

Ballet may be a highly addictive drug, but I refuse to believe that something that makes me feel this good, even with the aches and pains, can be bad for me.

My name is Black Sheep, and I'm an addict.

And I still want that Klondike bar.

What about you, cher reader? What have YOU given up for ballet? Do you think it is worth it? What have you gained? And, of course, what would you do-oo-oo for a Klondike bar? Comment away.....

No comments:

Post a Comment