Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Come on, get happy!

Happiness is a funny thing. In fact, I would say that Happiness is the ultimate motivator - is there anything we do that isn't in some way driven by our insatiable hunger to be happy? There's a very endearing movie called The Pursuit of Happyness and yes, that's Happyness with a "Y." Tony Hsieh, CEO of Zappos has started a movement called "Delivering Happiness," which teaches that not only is happiness a primal drive in life, the act of giving happiness to someone else is the ultimate reward. Think on that for a while!

Happiness can be found in the little things, and for me, ballet is no exception. I urge you, Cher Reader, whip out a pen and paper (or your iPad) and jot down your answers to this question: "What about dance makes YOU happy?" Refer back to that list when times are tough, you need a quick pick me up, or class doesn't go so well. Having never met a list I didn't like (seriously, you should see my epic to-do lists), here's the start to my list...
  1. Legwarmers. I absolutely love leg warmers, and they put a smile on my face every time I slip on a pair.
  2. Inner Dancing Peace. When I dance, I physically can't focus on whatever I'm stressing/obsessing about and execute a pirouette. My mind won't do it. So when I dance, I get the closest I've ever come to inner peace - it's just me and my plies, and we get along splendidly.
  3. Tutus. I don't know why, having never worn one myself, but the thought of them makes me smile.
  4. Épaulement. For me, the leg movements may technically be ballet, but it's the artistry in the head and arms that makes it dancing. A dancer with great épaulement will captivate me much more than fancy footwork.
  5. I'm happy that ballet has made me see my body in a different light. When I started back up a year ago, that mirror was my greatest foe, and I saw every flaw and imperfection hugely magnified out of proportion. Over the past year ballet has made me see strength instead of bulk, curvature of The Line instead of fat, and balance instead of awkwardness.
  6. That moment when you balance and feel like you're floating. For me, those moments are still rare, but when I nail a relevé passé, I'm all, "YEAH GIRRRRL!!!! ROCK ON WITH YOUR BAD SELF!"
  7. Men in tights. 'Nuff said.
At the end of the day, I'm happy that my body and my life situation still allow me to dance. And on most days, that alone is enough. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment