Thursday, February 16, 2012

Classe à Paris?

In a few weeks I will be travelling to Europe, aka My Disneyland. I love Europe and cannot wait for 10 days of bliss in Paris, Brussels and Prague.

My trip itinerary reads like a hedonistic, indulgent novella - cooking class in France, Belgian waffles & chocolate in Brussels, brewery tour in Prague - and I realized - France is not only The Grand Dame of Cuisine, it is also the birthplace of ballet. And what better way to honor that heritage than by taking a true ballet vacation?

I was all kinds of excited about this idea until I actually started looking for classes. Cher Reader, you would not believe how difficult it is to find an adult open class in another country, namely, France. I speak a fair amount of French, so navigating the websites hasn't been too difficult, but finding a beginner or intermediate class that (1) accepts walk-ins, (2) doesn't require a long-term commitment, or (3) is an actual barre + center class has been near impossible.

Interestingly, I learned that many ballet studios in Paris offer barre au sol, otherwise known as floor barre. Having never heard of this before (perhaps I'm behind the times!) I did some mad Googling. Evidently, in barre au sol, the teacher leads students through a series of exercises on the floor which mimic and are meant to strengthen floor work. Think of doing your entire barre series while lying on the floor. It's an interesting concept, but as fascinating as this sounds, if I'm going to be in Paris dancing, I want it to be with a barre (standing upright) with a fabulous French teacher with bun, skirt, and the whole 9 yards. Is that too much to ask?

So I'm putting it out to you, Cher Reader, if you know of any classes one might take in Paris, please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment